Saturday, April 25, 2009

Day One-hundred and Seventy-Three

Alright, well, I got animations working and then I upgraded Ubuntu. The Blender and Python updates then proceeded to break the mesh exporter. So now I have to wait for that to work so I can tweak the character's size and start cranking out skeletal animations. Like a walk animation, for instance, so the characters don't just teleport around the board. Not sure how I'm going to handle changes in elevation as the character walks though, hmm. Anyway, before the Epic Fail of my exporter I was able to get out the gloves and wooden mage staff. Enjoy.

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Day One-hundred and Sixty-Eight

I've completed the backbone of the skills system, both passive and active skills are working, as shown in the two skills I've implemented so far, Initiative(passive) and Basic Move(active). I've fixed up the Container class like I thought I was going to have to, and I perfected the imposter class so that it adjusts to the spatial it's rendering. Let's see, I think that's about it. Now I just need to start implementing the equipment and a bunch of skills and I'll have a playable demo.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Day One-hundred and Fourty-four

I've got the camera control complete, using spherical coordinates. The control scheme is similar to many MMOs. Right click to rotate camera, arrow keys shift focus point, mouse wheel zooms in and out. Character placement has also been completed. Clicking a tile places the currently selected character at that location. Moves them from previous location if already on board. Clicking the tile a character is located on while that character is selected will remove them from the board. Clicking an occupied tile with another character selected will swap those characters, either between tiles or remove the occupying character from the board if the currently selected character hasn't been placed yet. Also started integrating items, still haven't tested animations yet, should be interesting when I get there.

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Day One-hundred and Thirty-nine

Alright, so I have the new art pipeline in, save for animations. I have the GUI nearly complete, except for some tweaking I recently realized I'm going to have to do on the Container class. I have character selection and placement working beautifully, and I have the GameMap class functioning. The selectable tiles and the world geometry are both contained in GameMap but are separate, so I can have any type of terrain I might later want to use. Screenshots!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Day One-hundred and Seven

Alright, I have the GUI all functioning except for the scroll bar in the container class. Anyone interested in seeing a GUI/HUD implemented using the Quad and Text classes can go have a look see in the google code(link at right, I think). I started coding the world map but decided to delay that to do the tutorial battle map, since I decided the game should skip the world map at the beginning and get the player right into some action, which also means I get to go right into the action of working on the map and game mechanics. And now I'd like to take suggestions from anyone who has experience implementing a game that uses a hextile based map. The way I had it working before was okay but it was bloated and ugly, I'm looking for a slightly more elegant solution. Here's some screens of what I've been working on so far: